Monday, March 29, 2010

Cosi Sandwich Bar - Get Fruity

Cosi Sandwich Bar
http://www.getcosi.com
841 Broadway
New York, NY 10003

THE CONQUEST
With my new and healthier out look on eating, I set out to bring some of the best salads I can find out there. Working in Union Square NYC, there are A LOT of options for good salads. One of my favorites is the Cosi Sandwich Bar. It's a chain restaurant that specializes in salads, sandwiches, soups and coffees. With a full barrista attended coffee bar, you can imagine a Starbucks but with great, healthy food options. At the center of their food selection is a gigantic open-flame hearth. It's a stone over where Cosi makes their famous signature flat Bread.

THE SALAD
I have sampled from many of the items on the Cosi menu but the reason I keep going back is the salads. Well that and the shop is located underneath my office, which makes it quick and easy to grab lunch. My favorite salad on the menu is the Cosi Signature Salad. It comes as "Mixed greens tossed with red grapes, pears, pistachios, dried cranberries and Gorgonzola . Tossed with sherry shallot vinaigrette." You can choose a healthier option by choosing to have the lighter side version with half the cheese and reduced-fat sherry shallot vinaigrette. The mixed greens make for a nice bed with a diversity of subtle flavors for the toppings to bounce off of. The Spinach in particular gives the salad a nice flavor base. The sweetness of the fruits and dressing run into the strong tart yet savory flavor of the Gorgonzola.

Trust me when I tell you to go with the lighter side version of the salad. There is more than enough toppings and flavor to make this salad taste more like a treat than a healthy lunch option and you'll save yourself about 200 calories. Another trick I use to save calories (and carbs) is to only eat about an inch of the delicious Cosi flat bread. Just a few bites will be enough to quell your desires. Cosi is a great place to get a quick and healthy salad for lunch and as an added bonus they have Coke Zero as a fountain option!


8 out of 10 tosses
-Rev

No comments:

Post a Comment